It was built between 1284 and 1288 for Count Ugolino della Gherardesca’s will as the plaques once placed beside the main door say. The façade, divided in two orders by a moulding, is Romantic in the inferior part, with a portal with architrave and with round arch. On the right side there is a square steeple, many times reworked during the centuries and on which there is a bell made by Andrea Pisano in 1337. Santa Chiara church was made cathedral in 1502 when the diocese moved from Tratalias on Giulio II decision. This is the only cathedral in the world entitled to Santa Chiara.